Sunday, July 29, 2012

Sunday, July 29, 2012 -- Started the day with a 11-mile run from Hunters Woods Shopping Center parking lot.  Some people were doing 18 miles.  It was somewhat less humid today compared to recent days, so that made it more bearable.  Some kind soul had put a block of ice in the Gatorade, and that made it even more bearable.



Finally, today I defeated the gremlins that had taken over Thunderbird.  It was impossible to send email, although we could receive messages just fine.  Each time we tried to send, the system refused and gave a blunt error message.  It kept reporting that I had STARTTLS security setting enabled and my server could not support it.  Problem was that I most certainly did not have STARTTLS checked, at least according to the server settings.  Several days of sending off pleas for help to various message boards and support forums got me nowhere.

Finally, I began Google-ing the error message text.  This eventually turned up a multi-lingual discussion of the issue and the word from one expert to go to the Tools/Account Settings tab, scroll down to the Outgoing Server SMTP, click on it and open a box on the left side, which then opens a box on the right side that has all your outgoing servers and an edit button.  Click on the edit button, discover that security is set to STARTTLS after all, and put it back to "None."  Problem solved.

I fixed three computers this way, and now all is well again.

Of course, I have no idea how Thunderbird got started and changed its own settings all by itself.  Well, maybe I do?  There was an "update" to Thunderbird about a week ago, about when all this trouble sending messages started.

So my other task today was to update my "States in which I have flown an aircraft as Pilot in Command" map.  Got that done relatively easily.  Added Minnesota to my list.  Here's the result:

States in which I have been PIC

By the way, if you want to create your own map, go to http://www.epgsoft.com/VisitedStatesMap/

Small version of the map that I can use on Uncontrolled Airspace



No comments:

Post a Comment